I got off work three hours today. It was really nice and I finished Hamlet. In sum, everybody dies. Goodnight, sweet prince, and flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
Reading this play like this, in a way very different from how I've read those prior to it, has been wonderful and exhausting. Of course I could have done twenty more posts on it. To do so, I think, would have driven me pretty close to insanity.
In Act Four, Hamlet takes a little trip to England (though he never gets there). I have decided that I, too, will take a little break to England and read a good old fashioned English mystery novel. Then I'll return to Shakespeare. Yes, I realize that Shakespeare is also English, but most of his stuff, besides the histories, is set in other places.
Speaking of the England trip, did anyone else notice the vital role that pirates play in this play? Pirates! I really don't think that people pay enough attention to this aspect of Hamlet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

You're damn right they don't. That's the turning point of the entire freakin' play.
ReplyDelete