Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Scottish Play--1 (fair is foul and foul is fair)


Unbelievable. This play is notoriously unlucky. Productions of it are always plagued with accidents, injuries, even deaths. And, they are rarely successful. In fact, I just read somewhere that, by consensus, the only really successful production last century was Laurence Olivier's in 1955. Actors won't say its name. They call it "The Scottish Play."
Now, I was ready to poo-poo (in a manly way) all this bad luck stuff. In fact, I've written its name several times in the last few posts. But then today, after I started it, I went to the library to pick up a book for Jackie, some more Shakespeare movies to foist on her, and Auden's Lectures on Shakespeare. Everything goes well until I leave. I hold the door open for a little girl, turn around, and really scrape my hand on the handicap door-open button. Okay, it doesn't sound bad, but it bled a bit and it kind of hurts. The point is, I'm in Act One Scene Two of this play and already it's drawn blood. What's gonna happen by the time I get to Act Three?

No comments:

Post a Comment